For info on "TWO weeks of TOADS contest" look under the COMMUNITY TOAD ROUNDUP PAGE! NEW contests run every month, from the 1st - 14th. Go out, catch toads, inform neighbors, and win prizes!
I almost lost my dog because he bite a cane toad. Cane Toads' goes by
many names; Bufo Marinus, Rhinella marina, Feral Toad, Bufo toad, marine
toad, and giant toad, just to name a few. It is a highly invasive and
predacious toad that will eat anything that can fit in its mouth,
including all types of our native frogs, toads and insects. They have
even been known to eat pet food and garbage. The Giant marine toad has
two poisonous glands on either side of their head that secrete
bufotoxin. This toxin is deadly to dogs, cats and our native wildlife.
It even harms humans, there's been reports of human deaths because of their toxin. If you catch one be sure to not get the milky
substance in your eyes, and be aware that it has been known to burn
sensitive skin. You do NOT want your young children around these toads.
The symptoms of Cane Toad poisoning in dogs and cats include, head-shaking, drooling, foaming at the mouth, disorientation, whining, loss of coordination, pawing at the mouth, and, in serious cases, convulsions and then death. The animals gums will turn red, which is an indicator used by vets to distinguish toad poisoning from epilepsy. The color of your pets gums is something you should check from time to time, so that you know what is a healthy gum color for your specific animal, and if you don't check your pets gum color regularly you wont be able to notice changes that could be telling of some kind of health issue. For dogs like chows and animals with spotted, pigmented, or black gums things are a bit more tricky. For dogs with pigmented mouths it is recommended that you look at the color of their inner eyelids for answers instead. Typically their gums/ inner eyelids should be the color of bubblegum; a rich, salmon pink color. If you know your pet has bit a Cane Toad or perhaps ingested Bufo toxin, quickly get a rag or paper towel and rub off any of the secretions that are on the dog, or cats mouth. The secretions are white and look like Elemers glue. Rub the gums and mouth THOROUGHLY!!!!!!!!!!! THE TOXIN IS THICK AND ALMOST LIKE GLUE!!! WATER, ALONE DOSE NOT REMOVE THE TOXIN!!!!!!!! You absolutely must scrub out their mouth to get the toxic secretion removed BEFORE you start washing their mouth out, the poison is not easily washed away with water. This treatment is very helpful, Then get a hose, or faucet, and run a slow stream of water inside of the dog's/cat's mouth for over 10 minutes, making sure to point the animal's head downward so that water isn't swallowed. After that, call your vet as soon as possible. I speak from experience because i almost lost my dog from biting a cane toad and I watched a very good friends Yorkie die in her arms and it is imperative that you immediately wipe the toxin out of your pets mouth, because the time it would take you to call/ get to the vet wont do you any good if the toxin is still entering your pets system.
All life stages of cane toads are poisonous. These are cane toad tadpoles. If your pets or fish in your ponds eat them they will die. Regular toad and frog tadpoles are much smaller and are not jet black. Notice how they have slightly pointed snouts.If you have a Koi pond and cane toads lay eggs in it you will loose your koi fish. I make specially designed tad pole traps that i bait with a special concoction that ONLY attracts cane toad tadpoles. As far as i know, no one else has been making, selling, or experimenting with these traps as much as, or for as long as i have. These traps are HIGHLY effective. One trap can catch thousands of tadpoles in a short matter of time.